Chinese Canadian Artifacts Project

File File 5 - Chinese-Canadians

Chung family headstones Chung family headstones Chinese graveyard markers Chinese graveyard markers

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Chinese-Canadians

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the file.

Level of description

File

Reference code

CA CHL CHL_AM 257-File 5

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1979 (Creation)
    Creator
    Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society
    Place
    Chilliwack, BC

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm textual and graphic records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society (1957-)

Administrative history

The Chilliwack Valley Historical Society was first organized in 1957 when the constitution was drawn up, with Oliver Wells elected president. According to the Minutes of the first general meeting of the Chilliwack Historical Society, April 10, 1957, Allan M. Guinet served as the chair. A draft constitution was presented, and it was moved by Oliver Wells, seconded by J.A. Barber that the proposed rules and constitution be adopted and confirmed. The chairman called for the election of trustees, with the following nominated and confirmed: Dr. Jack Barber, Oliver Wells, Allan M. Guinet, Mary Hickman, Jean MacNaughton, Richard Malloway, Ruth Goodall, Jack Davies, Mary Anderson, Alan Kirkby. In 1958, the first museum was located in the Nowell Street police station and in 1962 was moved to the old library. In 1971 a new wing of Evergreen Hall was completed and the museum and archives was moved in there and the museum was entitled the Wells Centennial Museum. In 1981, the society changed its name to the current Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society. That same year, the society received use of the old city hall on Spadina Avenue. After six years, the museum re-opened, leaving Evergreen Hall for the use of the archives as well as storage facilities for artifacts not on display at the museum. In 2011 the archival storage and research area in Evergreen Hall was expanded by 4000 square feet.

Custodial history

Scope and content

File consists of copies of secondary literature about Chinese-Canadians in British Columbia. The file also contains correspondence of the Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society's Jessica Sutherland, Ethnic Researcher.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres