Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the file.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society
- Chilliwack, BC
Physical description area
2 cm textual and graphic records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Chilliwack Valley Historical Society was first organized in 1957 when the constitution was drawn up, with Oliver Wells elected president. According to the Minutes of the first general meeting of the Chilliwack Historical Society, April 10, 1957, Allan M. Guinet served as the chair. A draft constitution was presented, and it was moved by Oliver Wells, seconded by J.A. Barber that the proposed rules and constitution be adopted and confirmed. The chairman called for the election of trustees, with the following nominated and confirmed: Dr. Jack Barber, Oliver Wells, Allan M. Guinet, Mary Hickman, Jean MacNaughton, Richard Malloway, Ruth Goodall, Jack Davies, Mary Anderson, Alan Kirkby. In 1958, the first museum was located in the Nowell Street police station and in 1962 was moved to the old library. In 1971 a new wing of Evergreen Hall was completed and the museum and archives was moved in there and the museum was entitled the Wells Centennial Museum. In 1981, the society changed its name to the current Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society. That same year, the society received use of the old city hall on Spadina Avenue. After six years, the museum re-opened, leaving Evergreen Hall for the use of the archives as well as storage facilities for artifacts not on display at the museum. In 2011 the archival storage and research area in Evergreen Hall was expanded by 4000 square feet.
Scope and content
File consists of copies of secondary literature about Chinese-Canadians in British Columbia. The file also contains correspondence of the Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society's Jessica Sutherland, Ethnic Researcher.