Chinese Canadian Artifacts Project

Item CHL_002104 - Group portrait of men posing with huge fir log loaded on truck at the Orion Bowman mill

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Group portrait of men posing with huge fir log loaded on truck at the Orion Bowman mill

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the photograph.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA CHL CHL_002104

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908 - 1920 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph print
1 cm photographic records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

Photography consists of a group portrait of mill workers posing with a huge fir log loaded on an early truck, at the Orion Bowman sawmill at the base of Promontory. Wheels on truck have wooden spokes and hard rubber rims. Three men standing in front appear may be First Nations and/or Chinese.

In 1908 Orion Bowman built his first sawmill on Teskey Road near Upper Promontory, apparently on the farm of Edward Thornton. This first mill suffered a fire in June 1908. An article in the Progress reported the cause of the fire as blowing sparks and cinders from the refuse heap at the rear of the saw dust carrier. The skeleton frame of the building quickly gathered upon the alarm of fire. The Bowman mill was expanded in 1912, and was moved to the foot of Promontory hill, just eat of Promontory Road, two years later. A brief history of the Bowman mills appears in The Fraser Valley Challenge. Both mills were steam powered whilst much of the logging was with horses, wagons and skid roads in the Promontory Hill area. Shortly after the mill was moved to the lower Promontory site, a narrow gauge railway was constructed from the mill, both to the west and to the east. The east section of the rail line extended about four and half miles to Upper Prairie or Big Ditch Road.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

No reproduction without prior written approval of the Chilliwack Museum and Archives.

Finding aids

Finding aid available at Chilliwack Museum and Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2015/12/08

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Digital object metadata

Filename

P2104_Bowman_crew.jpg

Media type

Image

Mime-type

image/jpeg

Filesize

208.6 KiB

Uploaded

December 10, 2015 4:23 PM

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres