Showing 3 results

Archival description
Hulbert Hop Gardens
Print preview View:

3 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Horse drawn mechanical hops sprayer with Chinese boss, Sing

  • CA CHL CHL_005406
  • Item
  • 1901 - 1937

Photograph consists of a view of a horse drawn mechanical hops sprayer between rows of hops, with Chinese boss Sing standing at left behind sprayer.

Signatures: "Sing, and the spray engine" is written in white margin below image. "Chinese boss with spray engine" is written in pencil on back of image.

Photograph is annotated on the back by Marion (Banks) Rowlands, whose father Joseph Banks, was foreman at Hulbert Hop Gardens from 1901 to 1937. Hulbert Hop Gardens were located at the North East corner of Vedder and Stevenson Roads.

Portrait of group having tea in front of Hulbert house

  • CA CHL CHL_000119
  • Item
  • [ca.1896]

Photograph consists of portrait taken of a group seated around a table, having tea, outside of the Hulbert house in Sardis, ca. 1896. Individuals identified in group include, from left to right: Rachel McLeod (holding tea cup), Joe Banks, unidentified Chinese servant (holding tray and wearing apron), unidentified woman, Joe Arnold. Fields of hops visible in background behind house.

Signatures:
Inscribed in pencil, recto, top: Hulbert Hop yards / Joe Arnold / Joe Banks / Rachel McLeod
Inscribed in pencil, recto, bottom: Joe Arnold / Joe Banks / Rachel McLeod

The Hulbert House (Hulbert Hopyards) was located on the corner of Stevenson and Vedder (Sardis) and later moved to School Rd. See also P3601-P3603 (Dusterhoeft collection)

Booen, James Orville

View of two Chinese men with horse drawn wagon spraying row of hops

  • CA CHL CHL_005402
  • Item
  • 1901 - 1937

Photograph shows two men with horse drawn barrel wagon spraying row of hops.

Signatures:
"Hand sprayer near the Hop Kiln / Tank sprayer two hoses and nozzles / one horse drawn tank and Chinese sprayers" is handwritten in pencil on back of the photo. "Spraying by hand, American Cluster hops" is handwritten in black ink on back of second original.

Photographs are annotated on the back of the photograph by Marion (Banks) Rowlands, whose father Joseph Banks, was foreman at Hulbert Hop Gardens from 1901-1937. Hulbert Hop Gardens were located at the North East corner of Vedder and Stevenson Roads.