Showing 177 results

Archival description
Chilliwack Museum and Archives English
Print preview View:

75 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Side view of river steamer S.S. Gladys locked in river ice

  • CA CHL CHL_001089
  • Item
  • [ca.190-]

Photograph consists of a front 3/4 view of steam ship S.S. Gladys, locked in river ice in winter. A total of eight unidentified men are posing on the large two-tiered sternwheeler. Five men are seen standing on the bow of the ice bound ship. Three men are seen standing at front of second level. Gentleman wearing white apron at top left appears to be Chinese Canadian.

Leary, Frederick Gordon

Higginson family fonds

  • CA CHL CHL_ Add. Mss 866
  • Fonds
  • 1879 - 1932

The fonds consists of plans, surveyor's notes, title deeds, a contract between James A. Higginson and Huey Chung, a Chinese labourer on the Higginson farm, for use of a portion of the north-east corner comprising twenty-six acres, receipts for sales of produce, and a share certificate for five shares in the Sardis Community Hall Company Limited, Numbers 202 to 206 inclusive, dated May 25, 1922.

Higginson family

Group of men with Kipp & Nowell steam powered threshing machine in front of Nowell barn

  • CA CHL CHL_000474
  • Item
  • 1890 - 1920

Photograph consists of a group portrait of men, horses and steam powered threshing machine, standing in front of the Nowell barn. Man on left in group, standing in front of horses with hands in pockets, possibly Chinese.

Signatures:
"Kipp & Nowell first threshing machine / Nowell barn" is handwritten in pencil on back of copy photograph.

Reuben Nowell was born on November 20, 1829 at Bangor, Maine. He went west to California in the gold rush of 1849, and later came to this area in 1857 to work on the Boundary line at Blaine, Washington. Nowell wintered at Chilliwack at an Indian village in a split cedar house in 1858. In the spring of 1858, Reuben Nowell, together with Tom Hicks, built a log cabin to act as a simple stopping place and hotel for miners traveling through. Everybody packed their own blankets. You could always get a meal. They ran that for about four years. According to his obituary later he followed the Caribou excitement in 1858 up the Fraser River. After a short experience in placer mining, he settled in Chilliwack, being the second or third white man in the valley. Nowell pre-empted District Lot 331, Group 2, 162 acres, November 15, 1867 near Five Corners, adjoining the properties of Isaac Kipp and Jonathan Reece at the present site of Chilliwack.

Group portrait around table

  • CA CHL CHL_003561
  • Item
  • 1895 - 1897

The photograph shows several men and women seated at dinner table, outdoors with Chinese servant.

Booen, James Orville

Chinese domestic worker with William Smith

  • CA CHL CHL_P.Coll 120 Item 46
  • Item
  • 1896

Photograph consists of an unnamed Chinese domestic worker from the household of Lister Smith holding Lister's young son William Smith on his knee.

Signatures:
"L.N. Smith's baby & cook" written on original container.

Booen, James Orville

Edenbank Farm Group Portrait

  • CA CHL CHL_2004.052.0700
  • Item
  • 1899

Photograph consists of a group portrait at Edenbank farm, Sardis. Standing left to right: Gertrude Wells, Edwin Wells, Ray Wells, Harry Weeds, C.L. Reid, Frank Blackstock, Archie Atkinson, A.C. Wells. Seated left to right: Allen, Ernest Farrow, Mr. Clark, Foo, Frang Twigg, Fred Hussey. Chinese worker Foo, seated in front, was fatally injured at the farm in an attack by a bull named Zad.

Signatures: "Wells, Woods, Reid, Blackstock, Acheson" written on the photograph in pencil. "Edenbank Farm & Men 1899 / Mr. & Mrs. Ed. Wells - left, A.C. Wells - right, Roy Carman, Foo, Clark, Twigg, Hussey, Ernest Farrow" is written on the reverse.

The photograph is published in Oliver Wells' book entitled: "Edenbank: The history of a Canadian pioneer farm" on page 54.

Horse drawn mechanical hops sprayer with Chinese boss, Sing

  • CA CHL CHL_005406
  • Item
  • 1901 - 1937

Photograph consists of a view of a horse drawn mechanical hops sprayer between rows of hops, with Chinese boss Sing standing at left behind sprayer.

Signatures: "Sing, and the spray engine" is written in white margin below image. "Chinese boss with spray engine" is written in pencil on back of image.

Photograph is annotated on the back by Marion (Banks) Rowlands, whose father Joseph Banks, was foreman at Hulbert Hop Gardens from 1901 to 1937. Hulbert Hop Gardens were located at the North East corner of Vedder and Stevenson Roads.

View of two Chinese men with horse drawn wagon spraying row of hops

  • CA CHL CHL_005402
  • Item
  • 1901 - 1937

Photograph shows two men with horse drawn barrel wagon spraying row of hops.

Signatures:
"Hand sprayer near the Hop Kiln / Tank sprayer two hoses and nozzles / one horse drawn tank and Chinese sprayers" is handwritten in pencil on back of the photo. "Spraying by hand, American Cluster hops" is handwritten in black ink on back of second original.

Photographs are annotated on the back of the photograph by Marion (Banks) Rowlands, whose father Joseph Banks, was foreman at Hulbert Hop Gardens from 1901-1937. Hulbert Hop Gardens were located at the North East corner of Vedder and Stevenson Roads.

Group portrait of men posing with huge fir log loaded on truck at the Orion Bowman mill

  • CA CHL CHL_002104
  • Item
  • 1908 - 1920

Photography consists of a group portrait of mill workers posing with a huge fir log loaded on an early truck, at the Orion Bowman sawmill at the base of Promontory. Wheels on truck have wooden spokes and hard rubber rims. Three men standing in front appear may be First Nations and/or Chinese.

In 1908 Orion Bowman built his first sawmill on Teskey Road near Upper Promontory, apparently on the farm of Edward Thornton. This first mill suffered a fire in June 1908. An article in the Progress reported the cause of the fire as blowing sparks and cinders from the refuse heap at the rear of the saw dust carrier. The skeleton frame of the building quickly gathered upon the alarm of fire. The Bowman mill was expanded in 1912, and was moved to the foot of Promontory hill, just eat of Promontory Road, two years later. A brief history of the Bowman mills appears in The Fraser Valley Challenge. Both mills were steam powered whilst much of the logging was with horses, wagons and skid roads in the Promontory Hill area. Shortly after the mill was moved to the lower Promontory site, a narrow gauge railway was constructed from the mill, both to the west and to the east. The east section of the rail line extended about four and half miles to Upper Prairie or Big Ditch Road.

Chinese Worker Wing at Edenbank Farm

  • CA CHL CHL_2004.052.0633
  • Item
  • 1930 - 1950

Photograph shows a Chinese Canadian worker from Edenbank Farm, named Wing. Signatures: "Wing and the shed he lived in at Edenbank" is written on the back of the photograph.

Chilliwack Baseball Team

  • CA CHL CHL_004312
  • Item
  • [ca.1939]

Photograph shows members of the Chilliwack baseball team at Hope.

Signatures: "Left to right: Bill Evans, Rob Carruthers, Pete Toms (Yuen), Walter Smith "Goosey", Mickey Burden, Dan Evans, Joe Erickson, Ed Edgar, Arthur Graham".

Dorothy Chung in front of Chinese Masonic Hall

  • CA CHL CHL_007472
  • Item
  • 1947

Photograph shows Dorothy Chung (Kostrzewa) standing beside truck belonging to her brother Harry Chung at the Chung family home on Yale Road West (west side of the road, former site of Fraser Valley Frosted Foods). Chinese Masonic Hall visible in the background (side of Gray's veterinary clinic in 1989).

Aerial view of Chinatown South

  • CA CHL CHL_004750
  • Item
  • 1947

Photograph consists of an aerial view of Yale Road West where Chilliwack's Chinatown south was located until 1934 when it was destroyed by fire. On the east side of the highway is the Chinese Masonic Hall at 136 Yale Road West which was the only structure to survive the 1934 fire. Chilliwack River is visible in the photograph.

Lewis, Marion

Pen and ink rear view of the old building near Fraser Valley Frosted Foods

  • CA CHL CHL_008049
  • Item
  • 1965

Graphic image consists of a pen and ink drawing of the former building near Fraser Valley Frosted Foods. Building is very likely the Chinese Masonic Hall on Yale Road West / Trans-Canada Highway West.

Signatures:
"2:30pm - Wed. Sept 29, 1965 - Old No. 143 from rear - #45559 - According to lady living on property - To be demolished next week". Handwritten in pen at bottom edge of drawing.

The building was located at 143 Trans-Canada Highway West [45559 Yale Road West], and is very likely the old Chinese Masonic Hall. The 1957 Chilliwack directory lists Mrs. B. Woo as the resident at 143 Trans-Canada Highway West.

Pen and ink front view of the old building near Fraser Valley Frosted Foods

  • CA CHL CHL_008048
  • Item
  • 1965

Graphic image consists of a pen and ink drawing of the former building near Fraser Valley Frosted Foods. Sign reading "Woo farms Potato drive-in" visible at bottom right corner.

Signatures:
"Tues. Sept. 28, 1965 - Old bldg near Fraser Valley Frosted Foods - due to be demolished? - so I am informed - perspective bad - front doors should be central / #45559 - (old No over door 143)" is handwritten at bottom edge of drawing.

The building was located at 143 Trans-Canada Highway West [45559 Yale Road West], and is very likely the old Chinese Masonic Hall. The 1957 Chilliwack directory lists Mrs. B. Woo as the resident at 143 Trans-Canada Highway West.

Photograph of Wong Mui

  • CA CHL CHL_1999.029.069.009
  • Item
  • 1966-5-4

Photograph shows Wong Mui, a Chinese girl from Hong Kong, who has been financially adopted through the Foster Parents Plan by Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Batty of Chilliwack. The photograph was published in the Chilliwack Progress newspaper on page 24, May 4, 1966.

The Chilliwack Progress

Chinese-Canadians

File consists of typewritten notes relating to the Chinese Ethnic Study undertaken by the Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society. Notes include a transcript of an interview with Bob Maitland (1979), interview with Mrs. Jack Robinson (1979), interview with Maxine Smith (1979), interview with Frank Hall, and an interview with Wally Chung (1979). File contains two copy photographs: 1) Wally Chung's parents tombstones and 2) Chinese graveyard marking stones at Little Mountain cemetery

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Chinese-Canadians

File consists of copies of secondary literature about Chinese-Canadians in British Columbia. The file also contains correspondence of the Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society's Jessica Sutherland, Ethnic Researcher.

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Earl Marshall Currie Interview

  • CA CHL CHL_Add. Mss. 237
  • Item
  • 1979

Outline from an interview with Earl Marshall Currie. Subjects include Chilliwack bee keeping, Chilliwack Carmen United Church, Cultus Lake, Chinese in Canada.

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Chinese graveyard markers

Black and white copy photograph showing two large stones in a lawn side by side, each with Chinese writing engraved.

Signatures: "Photo of stones marking site of festivities at Chinese graveyard. Also located at Little Mountain with Chung's parents - the stones were at one time on top of a small hill next to the tree on left, but the hill was levelled and the stones were moved." Written on back of the photograph.

Ethnic Research Study Series

  • CA CHL CHL_AM 257
  • Series
  • 1979

The series consists of collected information on the Dutch, Ukrainian, East Indian, Chinese, German, and Mennonite communities of B.C., and particularly of Chilliwack compiled by Jessica A. Sutherland, Ethnic Research employed by the Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society in 1979 as part of a Ethnic Research Study. The series includes summaries of interviews with immigrants, photocopies of printed items, photographs, and research notes.

File list:

  1. Dutch-Canadians
  2. Ukrainian-Canadians
  3. Indo-Canadians
  4. Chinese-Canadians
  5. Chinese-Canadians
  6. Chinese-Canadians
  7. German-Canadians
  8. Mennonites

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Chinese-Canadians

File contains notes from an interview with Wally Chung, notes on Chinese headstones in Chilliwack's cemetery, and photocopies from police court record books of Chinese cases tried, 1909-1911.

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Chung family headstones

Black and white copy photograph showing a Chinese headstone of the Chung family written in both Chinese and English. Names on headstone read: Chung Bing Kee Father and Chung LIm Shee Mother.

Signatures: "Photo of tombstones belonging to Wally Chung's parents, located at Little Mountain Cemetery, just before the Legion Cemetery under a big tree on right side of road (slightly to right of tree, on the slope of a small hill)." Written on back of the photograph.

Chilliwack Heritage Advisory Committee fonds

  • CA CHL CHL_Add. Mss. 815
  • Fonds
  • 1981-1990

The fonds consists of files of buildings of historical significance, subject files, an essay entitled: "Chinatown - Chilliwack" on the history of the Chinese community in Chilliwack, and a map of Chilliwack showing settlement pattern, 1868-1880.

Chilliwack Heritage Advisory Committee

Dorothy (Chung) Kostrzewa Interview

  • CA CHL CHL_Add. Mss. 419
  • Item
  • 1983

Interview with Dorothy (Chung) Kostrzewa. Signed consent form, 5 page tape outline, copies of essays from other Add.Mss collections relating to Chinese in Chilliwack, and a 11 page transcription of Tape 1 and 2.

Chilliwack Museum and Historical Society

Results 1 to 25 of 177