Newspaper Article - 5 February 1936 - reference to Chinatown
- Textual record
"Editorial -- Sidney's Public Building
Monday morning, February 3rd, 1936, saw the commencement of operations to construct Sidney's $18,000 public building. Work on the excavation for the basement got under way and is proceeding apace. Contractors Knott & Jones are using as much local labor as possible in order to relieve local unemployment. The site of the building is at the southwest corner of Beacon Avenue and Fourth Street -- purchased 22 years ago.
The blue prints of the structure indicate a handsome two-storey building of brick and stone to take care of the Post Office and Customs. The building will front on Beacon Avenue, centred on property 98 feet in length, the building is 44 feet wide. In depth the property is 100 feet and the main part of the building will be 36.6 feet. There will be a full basement with a hot water heating system. Receiving and dispatching of mails will be done from an entrance on the southwest corner of the building, a driveway being provided for the mail buses from Beacon Avenue to Fourth Street. The main floor will be devoted to Post Office services and offices for the Customs are indicated on the second floor. Living quarters are also provided for on the second floor.
We have a new postmaster (Mr. Kennedy) and now we are about to have a new post office. Chinatown, a sad looking mess at its best, is now being demolished and as a contrast alongside we are to have a substantial building that will enhance the appearance of Beacon Avenue. Even if there is a depression things are taking on a different appearance in Sidney.
The construction of the public building is likely to encourage others contemplating building to erect premises that will be a credit to the town.
Transcription from scan of original by Brad Morrison, 2015